The SWI/UNBORN.COM Limited Ultrasound
Competency Test 2nd Trimester
Applying U/S Basics and Physics
Obtain pertinent patient history
- Hold transducer correctly & recognize proper orientation of the transducer to the anatomy being reviewed
- Correctly adjust focal zones, frequency, depth and gain settings to ensure the best resolution of the image
- Recognize basic knob logy of the controls needed to perform all functions of the U/S exam
Image and Label Appropriate Anatomy & Measurements
- Image/label in the sagital plane the Lower and Upper Uterine Segment, including the vaginal canal, cervix, bladder and fundus of Uterus
- In the sagital plane, sweep through the uterus to the Rt. & Lt. to demonstrate fetal lie
- In the Transverse Plane, sweep inferior to superior to demonstrate vaginal and cervical canal, uterus..continue to sweep until out of the fundus.
Image and label mid Transverse uterus.
- Magnify or zoom to image of the fetus
- Find the fetal lie and place fetal model on the lie/ Image & label and note orientation of the transducer.
- Move transducer transverse to the fetal lie and sweep through the baby from the head to buttocks. If the baby moves go back/show fetal lie sweep the though the body again.
- Measure BPD and Head Circumference at the proper location
- fetus is moving or the head is positioned brow up or down, come back and attempt BPD later.
- Demonstrate heart rhythm with M-
mode and measure BPM
- Depending on the protocol of your PCC measure Head Circumference (HC ) & femur If unable to obtain BPD attempt femur or HC. Take Proper Images for the Physician: Sag/ML/Trans of uterus/ +/- heartbeat/Fetal lie/ growth measurements
- Print pictures of the baby to give to Mom.
- Prepare final report and images for the reading physician
- Understand the procedures for 2nd trimester U/S for follow up, normal and abnormal U/S findings
Competency test 2nd trimester results:
Trainee Name:_____________________________ Date:_________________
Initial Instructor/Trainee_____________________ Date:_________________
Final Instructor:___________________________ Date:________________
Medical Director or Physician:_______________ Date:_________________
Submit your review